- Any host file types can be compressed and encrypted - transparently to the application.
- With that, all access methods of the original file remain available, so applications are not aware of this additional protection.
- Due to compression less file I/O is induced leading to shorter run times and better response times.
- The integration is done in JCL, programs need not be changed.
- This is true for all applications irrespective of their programming language (COBOL, JAVA, C, PL/1, C++, Assembler, …).
- Fully compatible with the FLAM utility. FLAMFILEs are mutually interchangable.
- Implemented as a z/OS-subsystem, hence no program changes required
- FLAM® runs as Started Task in the background
- Activated via JCL (DD-statement)
- Transparent read/write of data records in compressed/encrypted FLAMFILEs of any type
- Additional find/change/delete/insert in VSAM-KSDS-FLAMFILEs via key of original record on record level
Quotation of the developer
"The capabilities of FLAM as an access method are impressively demonstrated by its implementation as a subsystem. By that, data accesses done by an application or a utility are redirected to FLAM accesses - invisibly for the originator. Files remain compressed and encrypted. For an access, just small segments must be converted to plain data, not the entire file. Changes in existing programs are not necessary."